The internet has over two thousand online casinos registered on it, and you can play most of them for free on slotsbaby. This advent of technology has made it possible for anyone to play games anywhere. Mobile casino games have made it even simpler for players to access their favorite game. Statistics show that only ten percent of gamblers prefer land-based casinos these days. The rest 90% opt for online games. One can see the stats on the report published by NGB, Check It Out. This article gives a list of historical facts of the gambling world.
• It was in 1994 that the first online casino was created and the first country to allow operators to get a legal license for the same was the Caribbean nation of Antigua and Barbuda. The gaming software that made online gambling possible was built by the company Microgaming in the same year.
• In 1995, the security of financial transactions and communication improved, drastically because Cryptologic produced a method of encryption that safeguarded money transfers.
• The first money wager was offered in 1996, and it was done by InterCasino. The casino also provided players access to National Indian Lottery and 18 other games. This year also saw the formation of the Kahnawake Gaming Commission which regulated and licensed all online casinos.
• The first progressive slot was a jackpot called Cash Splash, and it was launched in 1998 by Microgaming. The same year the first poker room on the internet was birthed by Planet Poker. By the year-end, there were more than seven hundred online casinos that dealt with real money on the world wide web.
• It was the turn of the century that saw massive growth in online gambling. In 2000, the total revenue from virtual casinos was above two billion dollars. Online casinos also became global in the 21st century when Alderney and Gibraltar began to give out licenses to international regions
• It was in 2005 that Europe came up with the most lenient legislation – the UK Gambling Act. The next year the UIGEA, Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act, was formed. It ensured that banks do not process online casino payments.
• By 2008 the total revenue accumulated from online gambling was 21 billion US dollars.
• Two big companies, Bwin and PartyGaming, merged in 2010 to create the most prominent publicly traded gambling firm in the world.
The next eight years saw some ups and downs in the gambling sector. The US government closed Pokerstar, Tilt Poker and Cereus which caused a significant drop in revenues. A student earned over eleven million Euros by playing on a progressive slot. The mobile industry introduced gambling, and it reached enormous heights of above ten billion dollars in profit alone.
Today, the number of people gambling through tablets, computers, mobiles and laptops is almost ridiculous. With a free demo offer, online casinos attract more and more players every day though stats still prove that there are more male online gamblers than female. The time is not far that online casinos will entirely overtake land-based and regular casinos.